Meatballs: (make these or buy the "homestyle" meatballs from the store)
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
2/3 c. cracker crumbs or bread
½ c. chopped onion
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1 tsp. season salt
1/3 c. flour
3 Tbs. shortening
1. Combine first 5 ingredients. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape meat mix into 30 balls. Roll in flour.
2. Brown meatballs in shortening or broil them for about 10 minutes. Drain excess fat.
3. Meanwhile prepare sweet-n-sour sauce. Pour over meatballs and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes.
1 can (13 ½ oz) pineapple chunks
2 Tbs. cornstarch
½ c. vinegar
½ c. brown sugar
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 c. coarsely chopped green peppers.
1 Tbs. chopped pimentos (optional)
1. Drain pineapple chunks. Reserve juice. Measure juice; add enough water to make 1 c. of liquid.
2. Blend together pineapple liquid and cornstarch until smooth. Stir in next 4 ingredients.
3. Cook until thickened and clear.
4. Add pineapple chunks, green peppers, and pimentos. Mix well. Simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Serve over cooked rice. Makes about 6 servings.
*My mom has had this recipes since 1980! So, it must be good to be in our family recipes for that long! They can be either a main dish or just keep the meatballs in the crockpot with the sauce and use as an appetizer too.