Sunday, September 2, 2007

Mandarin Orange Salad

I first tried this at a RS dinner a long time ago. It is very yummy! I have to say, though, that I hate mixing fruit with salads so I never eat the oranges but I always add them to get a bit of that flavor.

Mandarin Orange Salad

4 cups greens (or 1 head green leaf lettuce or one bag romaine lettuce)
1 c. celery (I always leave this out, not a big celery fan)
2 green onions (I don't know what that means, so I just use one bunch)
11 oz. mandarin oranges
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 Tbs. sugar
1 cup or more cooked chicken (optional)

Put the almonds and sugar in a hot frying pan. Stir until the sugar
starts to melt. Stir until all the sugar has melted and coated the
almonds. Pour out on a plate to cool, separating as it cools for a
minute so it doesn't all get stuck in a big pile.

Dressing:

1/4 cup oil (that's the same as 4 Tbs. - then I don't have to get the
measuring cups out)
2 Tbs. white vinegar
2 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash of black pepper
Dash of tabasco

No comments: