During college I would celebrate Chinese New Year with all my Asian friends. We would have a big potluck with traditional and non-traditional (such as Americanized or Hawaiian like) Chinese food. Here is one of the appetizers I made one year.
Crab Won Tons
1 package won ton wrappers (these can be found in the produce section)
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
8 oz. imitation crab, shredded or chopped
2-3 sprigs green onion, schopped
1. In medium sized bowl, mix cream cheese, crab, and green onions.
2. Divide cream cheese mixture into 4 sections (cut into wedges).
3. Using 1/4 of the wrappers at a time, place about 1 heaping teaspoon cream cheese mixture in the middle of the won ton wrapper. Dampen edges of wrapper with water and fold diagonally or into rectangles and seal well.
4. Keep folded won tons under a damp paper towel. If you don't, the wrappers will dry out.
5. Deep Fry in wok or on stove. The edges should be golden. Drain on dry paper towels.
6. Serve with sweet and sour sauce if desired. I always like to use the La Choy brand.