Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Little Piggy Pies
Bake Time: 11 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield: Makes 5 servings
* 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, potatoes, peas, celery, green beans, corn, onions and/or lima beans)
* 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
* 8 ounces chopped cooked chicken
* 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
* 1/3 cup water
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
* 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning or ground sage
* 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 tube (10 biscuits) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Remove 10 green peas from frozen mixed vegetables. Combine remaining vegetables, soup, chicken, yogurt, water, thyme, poultry seasoning and garlic powder in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cover; keep warm.
3. Press five biscuits into 3-inch circles. Cut each remaining biscuit into eight wedges. Place two wedges on top of each circle; fold points down to form ears. Roll one wedge into small ball; place in center of each circle to form pig's snout. Use tip of spoon handle to make indents in snout for nostrils. Place 2 reserved green peas on each circle for eyes.
4. Spoon hot chicken mixture into 5 (10-ounce) custard cups (I only had 4 custard cups, so I used a ceramic mug for the 5th and it worked just fine). Place one biscuit "pig" on top of each. Place remaining biscuit wedges around each "pig" on top of chicken mixture, twisting one wedge "tail" for each. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until biscuits are golden.
As you can see, mine didn't turn out quite as cute as the photo in the book: