This recipe is from the San Antonio ward cookbook I made a few years ago. It is SO yummy and fresh tasting to me. It's from my friend Julie Bezzant. She has some of the best recipes. It seems like we are always making recipes from eithe Julie or our other friend Kelly Babcock!! These two know how to cook!!
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small zucchini, diced
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
5 ½ c. chicken stock
1 tsp. dried basil
1 bay leaf
½ c. canned crushed tomatoes
½ tsp salt
8-9 oz fresh or frozen tortellini
2-3 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in medium soup pot.
- Add onion, zucchini, and carrot.
- Sauté for 8-10 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the stock, basil, bay leaf, tomatoes, and salt to the pot.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a low boil.
- Add the tortellini and bring the soup back to a low boil.
- Cook it for 2 minutes, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 to 6 minutes longer.
- Gently stir in the parsley and pepper during the last minute or so.
Note: You can add more tomatoes and tortellini than it calls for. And you can substituted frozen green beans if you don't have zucchini.